What a beautiful day it was today! July 1, and June gloom is officially gone, and its officially Summer. I felt like a fruity salad, but nothing too sweet. Often times summer salads are drenched in suger-loaded dressings that taste more like dessert than a light salad. This dressing adds a little fruity sweetness without over-powering the fresh ingredients. I made this dressing out of balsamic vinegar that I had marinating for a few days in sliced strawberries and was wanting to pair it with some flavors that would contrast with the sweetness. Arugula (or rocket lettuce) was the perfect base for my salad. The strong peppery bite of the arugula complimented the sweetness of crisp apple and strawberry balsamic. Warm brie with honey adds another layer of flavor and creaminess. Crunchy walnuts caramelized in some of the strawberry balsamic finished it off. This salad tickles all your taste buds and satisfies all possible textures-crunchy, crispy, creamy and smooth.
Summer salad with warmed brie
- 4 cups Arugula
- 1/2 Medium Apple
- 1/3 cup Raw or Crispy Walnuts
- 1/4 cup Strawberry balsamic*
- 4-6 Small Brie Rounds
- 2-3 tsp Raw Honey
- 4-6 Tbsp Strawberry Balsamic Vinegarette*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a small baking sheet with silicone baking liner or foil.
- Rinse the Arugula and drain. Place in salad bowl.
- Chop apple into small pieces, add to arugula.
- Place the brie on baking sheet and spread honey over top of each round of brie. Warm in oven for about 5-7 mins.
- Coarsely chop walnuts and caramelize in skillet over medium heat in strawberry balsamic.
- Place warmed brie over salad, and sprinkle with caramelized walnuts.
- Serve with Strawberry Balsamic Vinegarette
This recipe goes well with my Simple Tuna Salad recipe, I paired the two together for a simple and delicious lunch!
Did you like this post? Consider Subscribing via RSS or